Exotica-Cool Strange Unusual Music Group

Exotica-Cool Strange Unusual Music Group
Click Sandy to go to our Facebook Page

Monday, February 13, 2017

Enoch Light 101 - A Curator Retires

Exotica group members, like you, have a long history of creating fan pages and content.  Our social media group started out in 1994 and now flourishes here on FaceBook with over 5500 members!

"Passion projects" come and go based on time and energy and mood. Should passion projects live or die with one person? I say no! Especially if that passion is shared with others.

So are you fired up? Ready to go? Pick up where Robert left off? A lot you could do. Enoch Light - Command Fans.

  • Biographies

  • Discography

  • A complete digital archive.


Robert has converted the site to a Wordpress blog. https://enochlight.wordpress.com

Contact him if your interested in taking the blog up.

The original site with the cool command record gif's resting comfortable at https://web.archive.org/web/20050519085051/http://www.enochlight.com/

If your good with HTML coding the ExoticaRing can provide you with a subdomain enochlight.exoticamusic.net.

Talk amongst yourselves in the comments here or on Facebook.




Author: Robert Baldock
Date: 2015-04-04 07:20 -400
To: Cool and Unusual Music
Subject: Re: [Exotica] Fwd: Enoch Light 101 - A Curator Retires



Dom -

If you wanted to link to pages on the Enoch Light site right now, the
Wayback Machine does have a snapshot of the old, pre-wiki site from May
2005:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050519085051/http://www.enochlight.com/

I'll use this as the basis of a migrated version which I'll set up a new
site for.

I'll let you know as soon as that's ready.

Robbie

On 03/04/2015 18:59, Robert Baldock wrote:
> Dom -
>
> Unfortunately, I never really had the time necessary to support and
> maintain the Enoch Light site I first set up in the late 90s. I did
> migrate it to a MediaWiki site a few years ago in the hope that it
> would effectively be maintained by the Enoch Light fan community.
> However, sadly, it ended up just being hit by tons of spam posts and
> comments.
>
> And then the final nail in the coffin was that a year or two ago I
> lost control of the enochlight.com domain (although it's possible I
> might be able to get it back).
>
> I'll see if I have a back-up of the wiki data or even the original
> HTML files the old site was based on.
>
> I'll let you know what I come up with.
>
>
> Robbie
>
> On 02/04/2015 12:15, Domenic Ciccone wrote:
>>> Well, what it *doesn't* mean is that the site is going to disappear.
>> Has this site disappeared? We appreciate Basic Hip's week of Enoch
>> Light sharity.
>>
>> I've reached out to Robbie. If you have all your content/html's on a
>> harddrive or a disk: Create a zip file and Dropbox it. Or I can give
>> you a address right there in England and you "pop it in the post"
>>
>>
>>
>> Author: Robert Baldock
>> Date: 2006-08-14 22:04 -400
>> To: Strange and unusual music.
>> Subject: [Exotica] Enoch Light 101 - A Curator Retires
>> Dear all -
>>
>> Today marks the 101st anniversary of Enoch Light's birth! Do please
>> find some time today to raise a martini glass to the man and remind
>> yourself by listening to some of his records just how incredible his
>> recordings were - and very much still are.
>>
>> And if anyone happens to spot or put up some Light-related sharity over
>> the next 24 hours, please send me the URLs and I will post them on the
>> homepage of the site.
>>
>> In the circumstances, I'm not sure whether the following is going to
>> seem like spectacularly poor timing or particularly appropriate timing
>> but I would like to take the opportunity to announce that I am in fact
>> shortly going to be retiring as curator of enochlight.com.
>>
>> It's been over 10 years now since the doors first opened on my
>> Spaced Out tribute site.
>>
>> In fact, the main reason I joined the Exotica list way back in 1995(!)
>> was that I could find next to no information about Enoch Light in books
>> or on the then fledging World Wide Web. But I was sure that the folks
>> who hung out here would be able to assist - and assist you certainly
>> have.
>>
>> It's only because of the many contributions that have been made over the
>> subsequent years by list members, as well as the assistance I've
>> received from former Light Brigadiers and members of Enoch Light's
>> family, that it was possible to put the site together and eventually
>> make it into the resource it is today.
>>
>> For this support I shall always be grateful.
>>
>> However, it has become clear to me, particularly over the last couple of
>> years, that I have just not been able to keep the site as fresh as I
>> would have liked, both in terms of incorporating new information (which
>> I still receive on a regular basis, incidentally) but also in terms of
>> updating the overall look and feel of the site, which I appreciate is
>> getting distinctly "stale" these days...
>>
>> I still believe the site is one of the most (possibly even the most)
>> comprehensive Enoch Light resources on the web, but it's really crying
>> out for someone who is much better able than I am to give it the time
>> and energy it deserves.
>>
>> OK, so what does "retirement" mean in practice?
>>
>> Well, what it *doesn't* mean is that the site is going to disappear.
>>
>> I'm going to do two things:
>>
>> Firstly, later today I will post a message on the homepage summarising
>> what I've said above and also that, after today, no further updates will
>> take place. Then from tomorrow, the site will be put on hold*.
>>
>> (* as I'm sure visitors to the site will have noticed, it's been
>> unofficially "on hold" for quite some time now...!)
>>
>> Secondly, I'd like to put out a call here and on the site for anyone
>> interested in taking on the management of enochlight.com to please get
>> in touch.
>>
>> Hopefully a fan of Enoch Light will be interested in taking up the
>> challenge (and, in case anyone's worried, I'm not about to hand over
>> control of the site to someone who I don't think has a genuine desire to
>> look after it). I should also say that I will, of course, do whatever I
>> can to help transfer the site into a safe new pair of hands.
>>
>> However, if no-one is interested in taking on the curator-ship of the
>> site, I am happy to simply leave it up in its current form where it can
>> continue to act as a reference point for fans of Enoch Light.
>>
>> Now, as for my Spaced Out off-shoot site dedicated to The Free Design,
>> I'm not planning to "retire" from that site just yet. But if this does
>> happen, I will of course let everyone know.
>>
>> OK, well thanks again for all the generous support you have given me
>> over the years and for helping to rekindle my interest and enthusiasm
>> for the productions of this great man.
>>
>> Oh, and while I think about it, thanks also for introducing me to whole
>> new worlds of exotic, easy, strange and 'now' sounds along the way...
>> ;-)
>>


1 comment:

  1. Robbie, Thank you for having the foresight all those years ago. I recall rifling through my gransfathers "boxed set" of command records he got with the purchase of a new The Voice of Music console stereo system back in 1960-something to get you some catalog and track data.

    ReplyDelete